This position supports the daily operation of the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine. The Laboratory Assistant performs clerical, technical, or both duties as they pertain to the specific Laboratory Section. The Lab assistant is responsible for up-front specimen handling and facilitating the workflow in and out of the laboratory by performing various clerical and preprocessing duties and interacting with others using a variety of communication tools and insures all required information and documentation are accurately, timely and correctly submitted. Adheres to the professional standards of the American Society of Clinical Pathology.
1. Insures that all specimens are properly, accurately and completely labeled, and that the proper documentation initiating testing is submitted with all required documentation. Contacts the appropriate patient care unit, physician office or outpatient clinic when specimens are incorrectly identified or submitted, obtaining additional needed information and/or patient information in order to insure proper testing and interpretive data is received. Spins and aliquots patient specimens accurately and in a timely fashion. Unpacks client specimensand documents any problem samples and forwards problems to technical staff.Calls floors with any discrepancies or problems. Prepares specimens for Mayo Medical Laboratory and other reference labs in a timely fashion.Prepares special send out requests for shipments to other laboratories.Assists floor and clients with sample requirements.Calls and resolves problem samples received from Outside clients
2. Processes send-out tests to reference laboratories. Manages pipet QC checks as scheduled. Records all QC checks (Temperatures, Pipets, etc.) neatly and accurately. Brings all QC problems or issues to the attention of the appropriate Section Head.
3. Answers the phone promptly and courteously using proper department greeting. Refers calls and problems to the appropriate department. Monitors departmental supplies and notifies Section Heads when reorders are needed. Maintains list of supplies on order and notifies Section Heads when supplies have not been received within expected delivery times. Receives supplies, labels properly and puts away, rotating stock as appropriate. Faxes results when requested by clients. Look up and gives out patient results over the telephone.
4. Provides service excellence to internal and external customers through office communication, professionally managing customer needs and concerns, anticipating and responding to customer requests.
5. Ensures essential communication is composed, produced, organized and disseminated for specific recipients. Ability to multi-task under pressure while maintaining good working relationships with other team members.