Under general supervision, applies advanced-level technical knowledge and skills of physical plant operations and engineering systems in the following areas: mechanical/HVAC systems, electrical/utility systems, plumbing, carpentry and construction in the performance of light construction, installation, general maintenance and repair of buildings, grounds, equipment, machinery and utilities.
1. Maintenance/Construction: Performs general maintenance duties, and provides advanced-level knowledge and skill in defined plant operations/industrial maintenance areas of expertise for installation, preventive maintenance, repairs and light construction, as assigned, to include the following areas:
A. Mechanical/HVAC: Performs installation and repairs on mechanical equipment and machinery
B. Electrical & Utility Systems: Performs electrical installation and repair work in wiring for switches, outlets, plugs, cables, power circuits and appliances; repairs lighting systems; inspects electrical systems for unsafe conditions. Tests, operates, adjusts, maintains and repairs utility equipment, machinery, circuitry and transmittal devices per the manufacturer’s recommendations and as needed.
C. Plumbing: Identifies and performs basic repairs of plumbing leaks or breaks; opens clogged lines and drains; installs or replaces plumbing lines and fixtures; repairs/replaces hot water heaters.
D. Carpentry/Construction: Performs rough and finished carpentry work in construction and repair of structures such as partitions, walls, Ceilings, floors, doors and frames, windows and frames, fences, office furniture, roofs, and shelves. Including but not limited to:
Painting: Applies and prepares various surfaces for paint, enamel, lacquer, varnish, or stain; repairs wall coverings.
Glazier: Removes broken glass, putty or plastic; replaces windows and door hardware; replaces or arranges for replacement of glass for windows, doors, and light fixtures.
Masonry: Lays forms, mixes, pours, and finishes concrete for buildings, sidewalks and slabs.
2. Tool/Equipment/Machinery Use: Demonstrates technical proficiency in the use of a variety of hand and power tools, meters and measurement devices, and testing equipment; demonstrates competency in operating and maintaining equipment and machinery such as tractors, hydraulic pallet lifts, fork lifts, snow removal equipment, furniture moving equipment
3. Blueprints/Maintenance Documents: Read and interpret blueprints and related documents detailing facility structures, utilities service lines and locations, construction plans, building alterations and work stations; review and identify projects needed to be serviced by outside contractors; follow oral and/or written instructions; communicate effectively in both oral and written form.
4. Documentation: Maintains documentation of work performed including work logs, supplies and equipment utilized and work order fulfillment.
5. Safety: Performs work according to all safety standards, utilizing required protective equipment for the job, inspecting work equipment and machinery, inspecting the work area for hazards, using lock out/tag out procedures, utilizing required warning signage for maintenance/construction areas, maintaining an uncluttered work environment, and reporting unsafe conditions.
Required: Three years of general maintenance experience in a facility maintenance environment; Knowledge of methods used in facility maintenance including basic knowledge of the following trades: mechanical/HVAC systems, electrical/utility systems, plumbing, carpentry/construction, grounds keeping. Intermediate understanding of standard practices and tools used in the maintenance and repair of building facilities; safety practices and procedures related to the building trades; basic math to add, subtract, multiply, and divide.
Preferred: Three years of Plant Operations and Maintenance experience, as described above, in a Health Care setting.