Within the defined scope of practice and in accordance with federal and state laws and regulations and accreditation requirements, perform blood collection procedures by venipuncture and capillary puncture techniques following professional guidelines and standards and taking into consideration the condition of the patient and site, age group, and the type of test requested by the health care provider; insures all required information and documentation are accurately, timely and correctly submitted. Adheres to the professional standards of the American Society of Clinical Pathology.
1. Applying knowledge of human anatomy, aseptic and sterile techniques and phlebotomy equipment, performs blood collection procedures by venipuncture and capillary puncture techniques, selecting the phlebotomy site taking into consideration the condition of the patient and site, age group and the type of test requested by the health care provider. Perform finger or heel sticks for micro-samples of capillary blood on neonates to adults as required.
2. Selects proper vacutainer tubes for testing using various sized needles, syringes, and or butterfly collection devices in order to collect appropriate specimens for testing.
3. Insures that all specimens are properly, accurately and completely labeled, and that the proper documentation initiating testing is submitted with all required documentation. Contacts the appropriate patient care unit, physician office or outpatient clinic when specimens are incorrectly identified or submitted, obtaining additional needed information and/or patient information in order to insure proper testing and interpretive data is received.
4. Performs duties and responsibilities related to the handling and transport of laboratory specimens, including receiving and accessioning specimens from inpatient and outpatient locations, conducting order entry and patient registration in reference lab information systems, accessioning specimens, receiving test results from reference laboratories, transporting specimens from the point of collection to the lab for processing.
5. Assists laboratory technical staff, including specimen inoculation on to growth media in Bacteriology.
6. At all times, provides service excellence and service recovery in the delivery of services to patients and in interaction with internal and external partners.
Required: Must be willing to train for one year as a phlebotomy technician in an accredited laboratory, and take the ASCP Registry for Phlebotomy Technicians.