The speech therapist completes patient assessments, establishes patient care plans, administers patient treatment in accordance with licensure and regulatory scope and standards, and established hospital policies, procedures and protocols. Focus on maximizing the communicative and swallowing competence of each patient. Provide comprehensive diagnostic, consultative, and treatment services for patients with hearing, language, speech, and swallowing disorders. . Adhere to the professional standards of CPH, the American Speech Language Hearing Association and NYS Office of Professions.
1. Completes speech and language therapy evaluations to establish treatment plans and home programs to restore function & prevent disability. Adheres to all hospital and departmental policies and procedures.
2. Administers patient treatment plan involving application of speech and language therapy techniques and modalities as indicated. Monitors response and progress to update and modify treatment plan as necessary to meet patient goals. Instructs patients and family members / caregivers in speech and language therapy procedures and self-care techniques. Performs discharge planning and documentation to provide discharge instructions and maintain post-discharge continuity of care.
3. Completes modified barium swallow studies within the hospital setting.
4. Consults with physicians and other health care professionals regarding treatments, progress, patient needs, and outcomes.
5. Participates in self and others' education, training and development, as applicable .Performs any other related duties as assigned.
6. Additional documentation that is not performed during evaluation and treatment sessions.
Willing to cover varied shifts and provide coverage across the St. Lawrence Health System.